An hourglass figure is the epitome of femininity and is like a drug to men. To get a curvy body, you need to accentuate the bust and hips, while cinching the waist and lifting the butt. What you need to do to achieve a curvy figure will depend upon your starting point and body type.
1. Take a good look at yourself. What body type are you? Are you apple, pear, rectangle or hourglass...etc..?
2. Decide what you want to look like. The possibilities are endless.
3. Reduce overall weight by burning body fat. Do cardio exercise three to four days per week, every other day. Cardio keeps your weight stable while providing muscle toning. Remember that it is impossible to target fat loss in one area of the body; cardio helps you burn fat all over your body. Pick walking, elliptical training, swimming or biking over long-distance running. If you are naturally skinny, high intensity workouts might burn off the fat in your bust and hips that makes you curvier. Choose a total body interval workout or walking to stay in shape without losing muscle mass and hip or bust size. . If you want curves, you might want to lay off the cardio and focus on strength to keep some fat for the curves. Cardio should be limited to 2 times a week if you're not aiming for fat loss.
4. Eat a healthy diet that contains foods from the basic food groups. Eat vegetables, whole grains, low-fat or fat-free dairy, lean protein and fruits. Limit sugar and saturated and trans fats and monitor your caloric intake to prevent sabotaging your results and gaining weight by overeating. Increase your daily water consumption to half of your body weight in ounces.
5. Build muscle. Embrace strengthening exercises. Do 30 minutes of bodyweight exercises, weight machines or free weights two to three times a week on nonconsecutive days. Weight lifting in addition to cardio will help to tone muscles in the areas of your choice. Work all major muscle groups including your legs, arms, hips, back, core, chest, shoulders so you'll have a symmetrical appearance. Begin strength-training workouts by using the weight of your own body as resistance and add weights or bands as you get stronger.
6. Reduce your waist. Do crunches, sit ups, and swimming for your waist. Losing weight will usually shrink the waist.
7. Work your core. Work your core, with exercises such as sit-ups, crunches and bridges, to define your abdominal muscles making your waist look proportionally thinner than your hips and bust to give you an hourglass appearance. Place resistance against a weight or band when you are in the active movement and also when you are returning to a resting position to double your gains.
8. Sculpt your hips and butt. Work your butt, legs and hips to get a curvier appearance. Include a variety of exercises, such as hip-lift progressions, toe taps, squats, lunges and leg raises. Embrace hills or stairs while you walk, hike or run. They will burn fat and tone your butt, hips, thighs and calves.
9. Enhance your bust line. Enhance your bust line through resistance training to make this area appear larger. Use exercises such as the sag stopper, X-raise and breast-in-show row, push-ups, swimming, and bench presses.
10. Buy clothes that flatter your figure. Baggy t-shirts and jeans might make you feel good, but they don't flatter you at all.
By Master Trainer Ebony LaTrice of Body By Ebony